1.12 SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE ON ANTARCTIC RESEARCH
SCAR is a scientific committee of the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU) charged with the initiation, promotion, and coordination of scientific activity in the Antarctic, with a view to framing and reviewing scientific programmes of circumpolar scope and significance. In establishing programmes, SCAR will respect the autonomy of other existing international bodies.
Guidelines for the conduct of SCAR affairs
l. SCAR will encourage and assist in the acquisition and dissemination of scientific knowledge derived from research carried out in its area of interest.
2. In formulating its scientific programmes, SCAR will pay attention to their possible contributions to global programmes of ICSU bodies and other scientific organisations. SCAR may establish liaison and cooperation with international organisations having scientific interests in the Antarctic.
3. SCAR will abstain from involvement in political and juridical matters, including the formulation of management measures for exploitable resources, except where SCAR accepts an invitation for specific advice. However, in formulating its scientific programmes SCAR will take note of the need for the acquisition of the scientific knowledge necessary for the judicious management of the resources of the region.
4. SCAR may provide scientific and technological advice to the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings, or to other international organisations (both governmental and non-governmental).
5. SCAR will keep under review scientific matters pertaining to the integrity of the Antarctic environment, including the conservation of its terrestrial and marine ecosystems.
The membership of SCAR is as follows:
l. Full members
National organisations adhering to ICSU, representing the scientific communities of countries with active and continuing independent programmes of research in the Antarctic that have formed National Committees to communicate with SCAR.
2. Associate members
National organisations adhering to ICSU, or nominated by national organisations adhering to ICSU, which desire to participate in SCAR for scientific reasons but which do not qualify for full membership.
3. Union members
ICSU Unions wishing to participate in SCAR on a continuing basis.
Full members: One permanent voting delegate and one non-voting alternate delegate representing the National Committee communicating with SCAR.
Associate members: One non-voting delegate representing the national organization adhering to ICSU or its nominee.
Union members: One permanent voting delegate.
Organization and administration
l. SCAR elects an Executive Committee from its full member delegates to consist of a President, Immediate Past President, two Vice Presidents and a Secretary, each elected for a term of four years. One Vice President shall be elected for a term coinciding with that of the President. The other Vice President and Secretary shall be elected for a term which begins at the SCAR meeting in which a President is not elected. Presidents and Vice Presidents hold office for one four-year term only, but the Secretary is eligible for re-election for one further term only.
2. The Executive Committee is responsible to ICSU for the coordination of the scientific programmes adopted by SCAR.
3. SCAR or its Executive Committee may appoint ad hoc groups for the examination of special matters.
1.12.2 National membership of SCAR with dates of accession
Dates in brackets are those of admission to associate membership
|Argentina||3 Feb 1958|
|Australia||3 Feb 1958|
|Belgium||3 Feb 1958|
|Chile||3 Feb 1958|
|France||3 Feb 1958|
|Japan||3 Feb 1958|
|New Zealand||3 Feb 1958|
|Norway||3 Feb 1958|
|South Africa||3 Feb 1958|
|Russia||3 Feb 1958|
|United Kingdom||3 Feb 1958|
|United States of America||3 Feb 1958|
|Germany, Federal Republic||22 May 1978|
|Poland||22 May 1978|
|German Democratic Republic||9 Sep 1981||
|Brazil||1 Oct 1984|
|India||1 Oct 1984|
|China, Peoples' Republic||23 Jun 1986|
|Sweden (24 Mar 1987)||12 Sep 1988|
|Italy (19 May 1987)||12 Sep 1988|
|Uruguay (29 Jul 1987)||12 Sep 1988|
|Spain (15 Jan 1987)||23 Jul 1990|
|Netherlands (20 May 1987)||23 Jul 1990|
|Korea, South (8 Dec 1987)||23 Jul 1990|
|Finland (1 Jul 1988)||23 Jul 1990|
|Ecuador (12 Sep 1988)||15 Jun 1992|
Peru (14 April 1987)
Switzerland (16 June 1987)
Colombia (23 Jul 1990)
Estonia (15 Jun 1992)
Pakistan (23 Jul 1990)
ICSU Union Members
International Geographical Union (IGU)
Internation Union of Biological Sciences (IUBS)
International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG)
International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS)
International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC)
International Union of Physiological Sciences (IUPS)
Union Radio Scientifique Internationale (URSI)
Next Section - 1-13